These Raw Vegan Double Chocolate Coconut Macaroons are an easy-to-make high-protein dessert or snack; Almonds have the highest protein content of any tree nut. A one-ounce serving of almonds has six grams of protein. Additionally it is rich in vitamin E, calcium, magnesium and potassium. Plus, you can curb junk food cravings with chocolate: according to a study in the Journal of Nutrition and Diabetes, eating dark chocolate or cacao beans can leave you feeling full and actually less desirous of junk food, thanks to its intense flavour.
- 1 1⁄2 cups almond meal
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded coconut
- 1⁄4 cup cocoa powder
- 1⁄4 cup + 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1⁄4 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 Tbsp coconut oil
- 3 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1 1⁄2 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 1⁄4 tsp sea salt flakes (optional)
- Add the almond, coconut and cacao powder in the food processor and process for about a minute. The mixture should start to take on the consistency of dough.
- Scrape out the dough mixture into a large mixing bowl. Add the vanilla and maple syrup slowly into the mixture and knead until incorporated. Pinch off a little of the mixture and roll into a 1 inch ball. Set it on a parchment-lined tray. Repeat with the rest of the mixture and place the tray in the refrigerator to chill.
Gently warm the coconut oil on low heat until melted. Take pan off the heat and whisk in the maple syrup and cacao powder.
- Dip each chilled macaroons in the chocolate shell mixture, coating them completely. Place the macaroon back on the parchment-lined tray.
- Repeat the process until all the macaroons are coated. Sprinkle a few flakes of sea salt on each macaroon and place the tray back in the refrigerator to set. The sea salt is key! Don’t miss this bit.
- Makes about 25 macaroons
- Note: The macaroons can be stored in the refrigerator for up to a week or in the freezer for up to 6 weeks.
NEHA JAMANI is founder of The Sacred Kitchen. A therapeutic and holistic chef, Neha trained at Bauman College of Holistic Nutrition and Culinary Arts in California. Her aim is to raise awareness about the importance of food choices and reconnect people with their bodies and the food they eat. Email Neha at firstname.lastname@example.org