What’s so wrong with chemical-based skin products? Anu Mariam Ninan of B’atude organic skincare explains.
What we choose apply on our skins affects on our overall health. Our skin is the largest organ in our bodies and it’s extremely permeable. It eliminates body waste and is our largest immune defense barrier, when we put toxic ingredients on our body, up to 60 per cent is absorbed into our blood stream. This is particularly important for leave-on cosmetic products like hair dyes, facial creams and make-up.
Even using a small amount of a toxic chemical everyday over the longer term will accumulate in the tissues and organs of our body. This chemical pollution is called Body Burden and recent scientific studies show that these chemicals are toxic even at very low doses. Some of these chemicals may be the culprits of rapidly rising rates of infertility. If you are pregnant or breast- feeding, you’re exposing your baby to these chemicals, which can detrimentally affect their development.
This is why choosing organic products with ingredients derived from living matter such as plants, vegetables and fruit is safer for you and the planet.
Organic products use ingredients grown without the use of pesticides, herbicides, synthetic fertilizers, chemicals, or carcinogens. They are cruelty free, do not contain artificial dyes, fragrances, or synthetic preservatives and GMO-free.
NAMING AND SHAMING THE NASTIES
Some of the most harmful ingredients commonly found in skin products and their possible side effects are as follows…
1. Parabens: Petroleum product. Triggers skin irritations and may play a role in falling sperm counts and rising breast cancer rates.
2. Paraffin: Derived from petroleum, comedogenic that blocks pores. 3. Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS): Forms carcinogenic nitrogen compounds when combined with specific ingredients.
4. Propylene Glycol: Increases the amount of acid in the body resulting in metabolic problems.
5. Aluminium: May contribute to Alzheimer’s Disease. Blocks pores so sweat cannot be released by the body.
6. Benzoates: Used a preservative in cosmetics and fizzy drinks. Causes gastric irritation, numbing of the mouth and aggravates asthma.
7. DEA, MEA, TEA: Causes allergic reactions, irritating to eyes and dries out hair and skin.
ANU MARIAM NINAN is co-partner in a company that distributes German organic skincare brand B’atude in the GCC. Anu is passionate about organic skincare after years of her own health issues caused by chemicals in cosmetic products.