A spin on the traditional spiced cacao drink, this dairy-free Mexican Chocolate Smoothie is a great breakfast option. The chia seeds in this smoothie contain protein, essential amino acids, calcium, magnesium, antioxidants, potassium, B vitamins. Additionally they are a good source source of omega-3 and omega-6 essential fatty acids, and soluble fiber making these seeds a potent superfood. Cinnamon is anti-microbial and helps regulate blood sugar, adding another layer of goodness to this smoothie. Recipe by Holistic Chef Neha Jamani.
- 500ml hazelnut or any other nut milk of your choice
- 2 medium-sized ripe bananas
- 1⁄4 cup cacao nibs
- 1 tsp cacao powder
- 1 tsp chia seeds
- 3⁄4 tsp cinnamon powder
- Pinch of cayenne
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1⁄2 cup ice
- 1⁄2 – 1 tsp honey (optional)
- In a blender add the milk, bananas, cacao nibs, cacao powder, chia seeds and spices and blend. The cacao nibs might remain a little chunky giving the smoothie a texture of chocolate chips.
- Taste and adjust sweetness by adding honey if necessary. Add ice and blend again for 30 seconds.
- Makes about 3-4 servings
- Note: For a vegan option use agave syrup or stevia to sweeten.
NEHA JAMANI is founder of The Sacred Kitchen. A therapeutic and holistic chef, Neha trained at Bauman College of Holistic Nutrition and Culinary Arts in California. Her aim is to raise awareness about the importance of food choices and reconnect people with their bodies and the food they eat. Email Neha at email@example.com