We are facing a global epidemic of obesity and illness. There is no shortage of advice for a solution: Limit your calories, exercise harder, reduce your stress… The list seems endless. Perhaps you have tried some of these methods, without success? You’re not alone: Almost two billion people worldwide are now overweight, and nearly 40% of us will be diagnosed with cancer at some point in our lives. It’s safe to say that conventional health methods are not working. | WORDS BY ALEXIA BJARKAN – WEIGHT LOSS COACH
S o what works then? If we turn to science, there is one diet that has proven to be effective, both for keeping extra kilos and illness away: the ketogenic diet. It’s a protocol invented by researchers at the Johns Hopkins University in the 1920’s as a treatment for epileptic patients . The diet has since proved to result in a range of health benefits, including weight loss, reversal of diabetes, and decreased risk for cancer.
The ketogenic diet is an effective way to optimize health, simply through changing our meals. As a bonus, you will enjoy the delicious food!
How the Ketogenic Diet Works
The ketogenic diet is high in healthy fats, moderate in protein and deficient in carbs. By starving the body on carbs, the body is forced to switch from burning glucose to fat for fuel. It then starts to produce the molecules ketones, resulting in a state of ketosis.
Why You Should Try the Ketogenic Diet
- Weight Loss
Ketosis typically results in weight loss until reaching target weight.
- No Hunger or Cravings
The ketone molecules turn off the hormone for hunger and switch on the hormone for satiation . The food itself is also so satiating that you will last for hours without snacking.
- Decreased Blood Sugar and Increased Insulin Sensitivity
This reduces the risk for diabetes, and can even reverse it.
- Increased Energy
Through improved mitochondrial function and lowered free radicals, you’ll experience a vitality like never before.
- Reduced Risk for Cancer
Cancer cells live off glucose and grow from high insulin levels. Since a ketogenic diet is low in carbs and results in lowered insulin levels, it starves the cancer cells. Thus, the diet reduces the risk for cancer and is even being used to treat some cancer forms.
Your Ketogenic Diet Checklist – How to Succeed!
• Low carb: Avoid carbs and sugar, such as bread, pasta, and sweets. Instead, opt for high-quality protein, healthy fats and vegetables.
• Food types: Preferably choose organic, whole foods and grassfed meats and wild-caught fish to avoid toxins.
• Carb refeed: Many benefit from some good carbs (such as carrots or sweet potato) occasionally. The Bulletproof Diet is a variation of the ketogenic diet, which includes a carb refeed about once a week.
• Meals: Get a ketogenic cookbook or google some recipes, to ensure that your new diet is enjoyable and thus sustainable.
• Warning: If you have any existing health condition, consult your doctor before trying the ketogenic diet.
• Intermittent fasting: It’s optional, but works well. Limit your eating window to 6 hours, for a daily detox and accelerated weight loss. Since the ketogenic diet is so filling, it’s easy to do this.
Example of a Ketogenic Menu
Breakfast: Bulletproof Coffee, which is toxin-free coffee beans mixed with grass-fed butter and Brain Octane. It keeps you satiated until lunch.
Lunch: Wild-caught salmon, avocado, and broccoli.
Dinner: Lamb meatloaf and cauliflower. Dessert: Raspberries.