If you have a great wellness story to tell, we’d love to hear it! Awakenings is about wellness and healthy living, giving people the information that will enable them to live fuller, happier, healthier, more satisfying lives, so the ground we cover is huge… everything from a new recipe for gluten-free spinach muffins to going to a séance and making contact with Aunty May on the other side. So if you do have a great story and you’d like to write for us, just follow these simple guidelines to increase the chances of us being able to post it.
• Word count: Something between 500 and 1000 words is good.
• Only original content: This is really important. Anything you submit to us needs to be unique and original to Awakenings. We do not accept posts that have already been published elsewhere online or that you plan to distribute to other websites.
• Tone: Keep it positive, helpful, user-friendly, engaging… as if you’re chatting to your mum or best friend.
• No to disguised advertising: We don’t want any content that’s just trying to plug a product or drive SEO… or generally have any agenda other than making the world a better place through the sharing of information that can improve lives.
• No to plagiarism: If you use information or an opinion or a quote that is not your own, please clearly credit the source. It’s fine to say something like, ‘as Mark Hilliam explains in his book the 10 Day Blood Sugar Detox…’
• Your bio and credit: Since we do not pay people to write for us, it would be our pleasure to help promote you and your brand at the end of the post in a byline. In other words, give us 2 or 3 succinct sentences about who you are and what you do as well as links to your website, Facebook, Pinterest and Twitter accounts. A photo of you will also be used if you supply one – just make sure it’s a quality, clear image in .jpg, .gif or .tif format.
• Images: If you supply an amazing, beautiful image, your chances of getting published are much better – however it’s not necessary all the time, we are usually able to source images. The times when it is more important are when you submit a recipe or suggest a variation on a particular yoga pose, or if it’s a ‘before and after’ type story. In this case, we really need you to provide a stunning image. Just remember that photos should be landscape format if possible – to really impress us, supply images that are sized width 702px by height 526px.
• Sources and references: If you make a claim about something (eg “carrots will improve your eyesite”) or if you mention a statistic or study (“46% of people in Norway are obese…”), please include a link to the source/s. Ideally you’d link to peer-reviewed scientific papers, government agencies or international bodies, academic journals, and/or reputable news outlets. Do not hyperlink them! It’s really annoying from our side, put the source in brackets something like this: [http://facebook.com/AwakeningsME].
• By submitting to Awakenings you acknowledge that you accept our terms, and any form of editing that might occur on behalf of the Awakenings editorial team.
Please email us the following if you’re ready to submit:
• Your full post with a fabulous title. Please send this within the body of an email.
• Any relevant images for your post. (Please send as separate files, not pasted within a document). Please only send images that you own.
• Your brief bio (less than 130 words) with links to your website, Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram and Twitter pages. Please put any relevant links in brackets like this both in your bio and in the piece: [http://facebook.com/AwakeningsME].
• Please don’t hyperlink ever.
• A headshot or photo of you to use for your bio.
Please send all of the above to firstname.lastname@example.org